Best Shoes For Hammer Toes
You probably suffer from frequent foot pain and other related problems like bunions and corns if you have hammer toes or mallet toes. But here’s good news: you can beat these conditions and look fabulous while doing it—all thanks to KURUs’ collection of stylish shoes that are specially designed for people with hammer toes.
KURU shoes are fabricated with extra depth and a larger toe box. This ensures optimum comfort and can help relieve pain caused by hammer toes, bunions, corns, and ball-of-foot issues.
Redness, inflammation, or a burning sensation around the toes, are common problems for people with hammer toes. Don’t worry, KURU shoes are also designed to help with these issues. The soft and flexible materials used in our shoes will contour to your feet to alleviate discomfort, making them the best walking shoes for hammer toes.
Hammer toe is a contracture (bending) deformity of the second, third, fourth, or fifth toes that affects one or both toe joints. When wearing shoes, this irregular bending can exert pressure on the toe, causing it to become inflamed and painful.
Hammer toe generally refers to a deformity in the middle joint of the toe. A similar issue in the joint closest to the toenail is less common and called a mallet toe. Causes and treatments for mallet toe are similar to those for hammer toe, and in either case the goal is to restore flexibility and stretch the joint.
Hammer toes are typically subtle abnormalities that worsen over time as the foot grows older. If left untreated, hammer toes can become more inflexible and may no longer respond to non-surgical treatment options. Hammer toes should be treated as soon as possible because of the gradual nature of their progression.
Simple exercises, such as towel toe curls, can help restore flexibility and relieve pressure on the affected joint. Watch the video below to learn how to perform towel toe curls for hammer toes.
Learn more about the causes and risk factors for developing hammer toes, as well as takeaways to help determine the best treatment option.
There are several reasons why hammer toes can develop, including wearing shoes that are too tight or high-heeled, excessive pressure on the toes due to athletic activity, changes in bone structure, and poor foot mechanics. Below we will explore the common causes of hammer toes and some strategies for managing this condition.
- Wearing shoes that are too tight or have high heelsThe pressure of tight shoes or high heels can cause the toes to curl and even dislocate.Wearing shoes that are too tight or have high heels
- Excessive pressure on the toesAthletes and dancers can experience hammer toe because of repeated foot stress. These individuals may wear shoes that do not offer adequate support to protect their feet from injury.Excessive pressure on the toes
- Bones in the middle of the foot shifting too far forward during weight-bearingA change in bone structure will often cause the second or third toe to curl up and in.Bones in the middle of the foot shifting too far forward during weight-bearing
- Poor foot mechanicsIf you walk with your feet turned out or drag your feet as you walk, this can cause the toes to curl and make hammer toe symptoms even worse.Poor foot mechanics
Symptoms & Diagnosis
Hammer toes are a common foot condition that can cause pain and swelling in the toes. People with hammer toes may also experience additional symptoms, such as skin irritation, thickening of the skin, and difficulty walking in shoes.
These symptoms can be exacerbated by wearing shoes that are too tight or made of abrasive materials. Numbness and tingling sensations in the feet and toes may also occur, particularly at night.
- Pain or swelling in the soles of your feet.
- Achilles tendonitis
- Plantar fasciitis
- Less stamina in the feet
- Difficulty or discomfort when standing on your toes
- Knee, hip, and back pain
Understanding the symptoms of hammer toes is the first step in finding the right treatment. In the following sections, we will discuss various treatment options for hammer toes to alleviate pain and reduce discomfort.
Hammer Toes Facts and Stats
- 80% of the population has a foot type that predisposes them to deformities such as hammer toes, bunions, flat feet, etc.
- Hammer toe is more common in women since they tend to wear narrow shoes with more aggressive angles, like high heels.
- Excessively long toes may increase the possibility of the toe being twisted or squashed by too-tight shoes, or having a heel that rises too high.
- Hammer toes sometimes come back, as often as 10% of the time, and that recurrence is more common in the second toe than the third or fourth.
While it can be a frustrating condition to deal with, there are several treatments available to relieve symptoms and prevent further damage. Here are some tips for treating hammer toes at home:
- FootwearWearing supportive, well-fitting footwear can help alleviate pressure on your toes. Choose shoes with a low heel, soft insoles, and enough room in the toe box to wiggle your toes.Footwear
- ExerciseRegular exercise can help strengthen your foot muscles and improve flexibility. Low-impact activities like swimming and walking are good options.Exercise
- Calf StretchStretching your calf muscles can help reduce tension on your feet. A recommended stretch involves standing on a step with your toes and forefoot and rising onto your toes, holding for 5 seconds, and slowly lowering yourself back down to the floor. Repeat ten times twice a day.Calf Stretch
- Anti-Inflammatory MedicationsAnti-inflammatory medications may be prescribed by your doctor to reduce pain and swelling, especially if your hammer toe is caused by arthritis.Anti-Inflammatory Medications
- SurgerySurgery is typically reserved as a last resort for severe cases of hammer toes. Consult with your doctor to determine if this is the best option for you.Surgery
- What shoes are best for hammer toes?
Avoid high heels and other shoes that crowd your toes together (like pointy-toed shoes). Shoes with a wide toe box should also be worn to give the toes plenty of room. Wearing comfortable shoes for hammer toes with plenty of space is very important. Stiff shoes should be avoided, as they can lead to hammer toes.
- Do hammer toes go away without treatment?
Hammer toe rarely goes away without treatment. If you have a flexible hammer toe, your doctor can show you simple exercises for stretching and straightening the toe. But if the muscles and tendons in your feet are tight, your toes won’t be able to straighten out well enough to relieve the pressure on the affected joints. Your doctor may recommend an orthotic device, or a specially designed shoe in those cases. These can take the stress off the toe joints and relieve pain.
- How can I straighten my hammer toes without surgery?
• Some people find success with a toe stretcher, which you wear across your toes to stretch them gradually back into position.
• Avoid wearing tight or pointy shoes. Try to wear wide, well-cushioned shoes.
• Don’t wear high heels. Wear the best athletic shoes for hammer toes with good arch support and a roomy toe box.
• When sitting down, flex and extend your toes and wiggle them to stretch them out.
- What widths do you offer? Do you have wide or narrow widths?
We offer several styles in wide widths, and the others are supplied in medium (Standard). Fit notes and width measurements are also included on each product page to help guide you.
If you aren’t sure what size you wear, we highly recommend getting your foot measured. Most shoe stores use a metal measurement plate called a Brannock device, and that standard is what we base KURU sizes on as well.
Wide: C+ (Other brands may label their wide shoes as CC, 2C, W, or just C.)
SHOP WOMEN’S WIDE
Wide: E+ (Other brands may label their wide shoes as E.E., 2E, W, or just E.)
SHOP MEN’S WIDE
At KURU, we pride ourselves on our unique approach to shoe design. We believe that shoes should be shaped to fit the natural contours of your feet, which is why we create every pair in three distinct support layers, not just an insole.
Our revolutionary ergonomic design starts with a curved footbed and adds unparalleled triple-layer support that includes shock-absorbing KURUCLOUD, heel-cupping KURUSOLE, and arch-supporting ULTIMATE INSOLES. The result? Shoes that are so comfortable you’ll stop thinking about your feet.
Do we all know that feeling when our heels are hitting the ground? It’s not fun, but this innovative technology takes care of everything. …Show More
Do we all know that feeling when our heels are hitting the ground? It’s not fun, but this innovative technology takes care of everything. KURUSOLE flexes with every step to dynamically protect your heel and maximize body cushioning for an effortless walking experience! This support helps guide you toward a more natural posture while also helping to correct crooked gaits or uneven strides—making sure everyone has their best possible walk ever from day one, and beyond!…Show less
There’s nothing like a relaxing stroll to make you feel connected with your surroundings, and the KURUCLOUD midsole provides just …Show More
There’s nothing like a relaxing stroll to make you feel connected with your surroundings, and the KURUCLOUD midsole provides just that. Made from high-grade foams inspired by performance running shoes, this midsole is perfect for those who suffer from chronic pain or road soreness. Its lightweight yet durable construction ensures plenty of bounce while keeping pressure off joints during each step taken.…Show less
KURU is here to make your life better. Our ULTIMATE INSOLES use advanced foams that adapt with you as they break in, providing custom support for every …Show More
KURU is here to make your life better. Our ULTIMATE INSOLES use advanced foams that adapt with you as they break in, providing custom support for every step and occasion! The first point of contact with your feet is crucial, which means we don’t skimp on quality to give people what they need most: The best possible experience from start to finish. Enjoy arch support and total cushioning from heel to toe.…Show less
Do we all know that feeling when our heels are hitting the ground? It’s not fun, but this innovative technology takes care of everything. KURUSOLE flexes with every step to dynamically protect your heel and maximize body cushioning for an effortless walking experience! This support helps guide you toward a more natural posture while also helping to correct crooked gaits or uneven strides—making sure everyone has their best possible walk ever from day one, and beyond!
There’s nothing like a relaxing stroll to make you feel connected with your surroundings, and the KURUCLOUD midsole provides just that. Made from high-grade foams inspired by performance running shoes, this midsole is perfect for those who suffer from chronic pain or road soreness. Its lightweight yet durable construction ensures plenty of bounce while keeping pressure off joints during each step taken.
KURU is here to make your life better. Our ULTIMATE INSOLES use advanced foams that adapt with you as they break in, providing custom support for every step and occasion! The first point of contact with your feet is crucial, which means we don’t skimp on quality to give people what they need most: The best possible experience from start to finish. Enjoy arch support and total cushioning from heel to toe.
Fine, We’ll Tell You Our Secret
What makes KURU different? Every KURU shoe comes with built-in patented KURUSOLE tech—a foot health game changer.
While other shoes are flat on the inside, KURUSOLE is shaped like your foot to hug and prevent fatigue and pain.
Comfortable Again. I have plantar fasciitis and have hammer toes. I’ve been limping around for the last few days because of the pain caused by the hammer toes. I put these shoes on this morning and voila, no more pain at all!! Comfy, comfy, comfy!”
Plantar Fasciitis-Gone! My feet are a mess. I have supination, plantar fasciitis, severe hammer toes and arthritic ankles. The Quantums have a deep toebox so my hammer toes aren’t irritated. There is room for my prescription orthotics which takes care of the supination. And after a few weeks of walking around in them, the fasciitis is gone. Gone!”
Best shoes ever!! I have had issues with my feet due to many years of retail work in heels all day. Hammer toes, heel bone spurs, bunion’s, plantar fasciitis and big toe arthritis. In many of my walking shoes my hammer toes would rub on the top of the shoe and socks made it feel worse. I thought I’d have to wear flip flops and Sandals forever. These shoes are the absolute best ever. I admit when I first put them on I thought one side of my foot heel area felt higher than the other side but on no time the shoe conformed to my foot and they are so comfortable and light. They feel as comfortable as slippers. Please try them!”
Relief. As the aging process kicked in, so did plantar fasciitis, hammer toe, tendonitis and Morton’s neuromas. Visits to podiatrist and Cortisone. PT as well. I went through the usual shoes to no avail but stumbled onto Kuru. I’ve just ordered my third pair, so that should be a clue. The heel of the shoe is wonderful. Arch is great. Toe box is nice and wide. I showed them to my doctor and he had heard of them but never seen a pair. He took out the liner and examined the shoe. He was impressed! Shoes are very comfortable and look good too. Takes some time to break them in but well worth it. Price is right and shipping is super fast. Give them a try!”
Great shoe. I have it all. P.F, hammer toes,bunion,high arch,sore heel. Luckily just in my left foot, but gone through years of pain, Doctors, Physical therepy,chiroprator,who does pop & stretch my foot with quite a bit of relief i, Did a lot of research,re shoes, and upon reading what other folks have said . Kuru is top of the line. I purchased this style, and they felt great, I usually wear 7.1/2,but upped it to a size 8. With socks they fit fine , and without they are just as comfy. We do a lot of Rving, and previously I spent a lot of time in parking lots due to not walking so well So now I’m looking forward to keeping up with my hubby and 2 border collies , at 76 I am ready to start enjoying my senior years with more activity & KURU’s.”