Best Shoes for Foot Pain Relief
You’ve got a life to lead—you don’t need foot pain slowing you down. Whether you’re headed to your day job, chasing kiddos through the house, walking your dog, or hiking the foothills, you need footwear that not only can keep up, it can relieve pain.
KURU’s line of shoes for foot pain feature our patented heel support and shock-absorbing cushion built into every pair for Pain Relief Beyond Belief.
Foot pain is an umbrella term for a wide range of painful conditions and symptoms in the foot and ankle.
A few common foot pain conditions are plantar fasciitis, Morton’s neuroma, bunions, and pain caused from having flat feet or high arches. Foot pain charts and lists of common foot conditions can help guide you in the right direction, though we encourage a proper assessment by a medical professional before you begin any treatment.
Whether you have bottom-of-foot pain, heel pain, or pain on the tops of your feet, one simple treatment option is to wear comfortable shoes for foot pain.
If you’re looking for an additional way to alleviate foot pain, you may want to try a water bottle foot massage. This type of massage can provide a soothing effect on your feet and ease discomfort caused by various foot conditions. Check out the video below to learn how to perform this at home and give your feet some much-needed relief.
- Sharp, aching pain in the ball of the footSudden high impact or consistent pressure on the balls of the foot can cause metatarsalgia—inflammation of the bones below the toes.Sharp, aching pain in the ball of the foot
- Toe joint painBunions can cause an aching or sharp pain in the big-toe joint. This condition is often inherited genetically, though wearing ill-fitting footwear can worsen it.Toe joint pain
- Feeling of a lump in your shoeMorton’s neuroma often causes a feeling of a pebble underneath the ball of your foot. The tissue around the nerves becomes inflamed and enlarged, which often causes pain between the third and fourth toes.Feeling of a lump in your shoe
- Numbness or tingling in the toesConditions that cause circulatory or nerve issues such as diabetes, neuropathy, and Morton’s neuroma can lead to loss of feeling or tingling in the toes.Numbness or tingling in the toes
- Top of foot painThe top of the foot above the ball can experience pain from extensor tendonitis, bone stress fractures, or other injury.Top of foot pain
Facts and Stats
We take a look at some facts and stats you might not have known about foot pain. Read on to find out more!
- About 1 million ankle injuries occur each year in the US, and 85% of them are ankle sprains.
- Women experience Morton’s neuroma 8–10 times more often than men and develop bunions 10 times more often.
- Metatarsalgia pain is typically an overuse injury and is common among athletes.
- In a survey by the American Podiatric Medical Association, 77% of the Americans surveyed suffered from foot problems or disorders.
- The best foot pain shoes are those with plenty of cushion and a wide toe box for a comfortable fit.
If you are looking for foot pain treatment, we’re here to help! We’ll cover treatment options and provide shoe recommendations for foot pain relief.
When treating foot pain, we recommend checking with your doctor who can formally assess your symptoms, perform any needed imaging tests, and offer a diagnosis and treatment plan.
One effective way to treat foot pain symptoms without medical procedures or surgery is to wear supportive comfortable shoes with plenty of arch support and cushion.
A Few Tips for Foot Pain Treatment:
- Avoid high heelsSince high heels or too-tight footwear can cause or worsen foot pain conditions, omitting high heels can be a form of foot pain prevention and treatment.Avoid high heels
- R.I.C.E.Since ball of foot pain and inflammation can flare up with high-impact activities, use the RICE method—rest, ice, compression, elevation—on the affected area when experiencing pain, redness, or swelling after activity.R.I.C.E.
- Modify exercise for low-impact activitiesIf you engage in high-impact exercise or activity, consider modifying your exercise routine to practice low-impact activities such as swimming and biking.Modify exercise for low-impact activities
- Stretch your feetStretch your calves and feet and roll out your plantar fascia consistently to help reduce the risk of injury.Stretch your feet
- Wear high-quality supportive footwearThe best shoes for foot pain are those that absorb shock, offer plenty of cushion, and provide room for your toes and forefoot.Wear high-quality supportive footwear
- What are the common causes of foot pain?
Common causes of foot pain include plantar fasciitis, bunions, ingrown toenails, Achilles tendonitis, stress fractures, and arthritis.
- How can I prevent foot pain?
To prevent foot pain, you can: wear comfortable and supportive shoes, maintain a healthy weight, exercise regularly to strengthen your feet and ankles, avoid high-impact activities on hard surfaces, and practice good foot hygiene.
- When should I see a doctor for foot pain?
It is advisable to see a doctor for foot pain if: the pain is severe and persistent, there is swelling, redness, or signs of infection, there is difficulty walking or bearing weight on the foot, or if home remedies are not providing relief.
- I just received a pair of your shoes and my feet are sore/hurt after wearing them. Why is that?
Some customers experience tenderness when they first start wearing a new pair of KURUs. That’s ok! Your body may need time to adjust to the new levels of anatomical support you experience with our patented KURUSOLE technology. Our shoes are also designed to mold to your unique foot shape, which takes a bit of a break-in period.
To help mitigate this, we suggest you follow our break-in procedure, including wearing your KURUs for a couple hours per day around the house in the first couple of weeks as they break in and form to your foot.
- Can I use custom orthotics with KURU shoes?
Due to the anatomical shape of the KURUSOLE, custom orthotics with a rounded heel fit best inside our shoes. If the underside of the custom orthotic (the part that sits on the footbed) is squared off, then it may not fit into our deep heel cup—which is rounded like your foot.
That said, many of our customers tell us the KURUSOLE technology offers better support and stability than they expected, and that they don’t need to wear their custom orthotics with KURU shoes.
- Are your shoes considered orthopedic shoes?
While our shoes are not currently considered orthopedic by a medical standard, we have received thousands of positive reviews from customers who say their KURUs helped reduce or eliminate their pain—including pain in the balls of the feet!
- How do I know which shoes to buy? Which is best for me?
The best shoe for you will depend on your unique foot type. The best shoes for top-of-foot pain, pain in arch of foot, and pain in the soles of your feet should offer adequate arch support and cushion and flexible uppers.
Whether you’re looking for running shoes, dress shoes, neutral shoes, or flip flops, KURUs line of pain-relieving shoes help alleviate foot pain symptoms (including plantar fasciitis!) for all-day comfort.
About 8 in 10 Americans experience ongoing foot pain, with over 95% of those saying foot pain impacts their everyday life in some way.
At KURU, we pride ourselves on our unique approach to shoe design. We believe that shoes should be shaped to fit the natural contours of your feet, which is why we create every pair in three distinct support layers, not just an insole.
Our revolutionary ergonomic design starts with a curved footbed and adds unparalleled triple-layer support that includes shock-absorbing KURUCLOUD, heel-cupping KURUSOLE, and arch-supporting ULTIMATE INSOLES. The result? Shoes that are so comfortable you’ll stop thinking about your feet.
Our patented KURUSOLE plate features a unique design that cups and protects the heel and allows for dynamic flexion with each step. …Show More
Our patented KURUSOLE plate features a unique design that cups and protects the heel and allows for dynamic flexion with each step. This superior support helps us utilize our body’s natural cushioning system: the heel’s fat pad so you get more support with each step.…Show less
Our KURUCLOUD base layer acts as a cushioned footbed to offer padding and shock absorption with every step. This layer of dense EVA …Show More
Our KURUCLOUD base layer acts as a cushioned footbed to offer padding and shock absorption with every step. This layer of dense EVA foam helps absorb impact to your foot, including the ball of the foot, which can help reduce the risk of pain and injury to this area.…Show less
The top layer of our tech trio, ULTIMATE INSOLES feature a bridge of arch support and premium, dual-density polyurethane foam. These durable, cushioned …Show More
The top layer of our tech trio, ULTIMATE INSOLES feature a bridge of arch support and premium, dual-density polyurethane foam. These durable, cushioned 5mm insoles provide lasting support and comfort—especially for those with foot pain.…Show less
Our patented KURUSOLE plate features a unique design that cups and protects the heel and allows for dynamic flexion with each step. This superior support helps us utilize our body’s natural cushioning system: the heel’s fat pad so you get more support with each step.
Our KURUCLOUD base layer acts as a cushioned footbed to offer padding and shock absorption with every step. This layer of dense EVA foam helps absorb impact to your foot, including the ball of the foot, which can help reduce the risk of pain and injury to this area.
The top layer of our tech trio, ULTIMATE INSOLES feature a bridge of arch support and premium, dual-density polyurethane foam. These durable, cushioned 5mm insoles provide lasting support and comfort—especially for those with foot pain.
Fine, We’ll Tell You Our Secret
What makes KURU different? Every KURU shoe comes with built-in patented KURUSOLE tech—a foot health game changer.
While other shoes are flat on the inside, KURUSOLE is shaped like your foot to hug and prevent fatigue and pain.
Best of the best. I bought these after spending a lot on walking and running shoes, after I started to experience pain on the ball of my right foot. Let me tell you, these were a life safer. I have a high arch and before I made my purchase they asked some questions and paired me up with the ATOM. I highly highly recommend these, you will NOT regret it. By the way, I’m 64 years young and I like long walks. 5 miles or more.”
Comfort back in my feet again. Bought these shoes after reading all of your web site. First pair was a little short so returned and got a half size larger,these fit perfectly. My feet were not perfect, bunnion and hammer toes on one foot heal pain on the other foot, now I can walk pain free. I don’t think I have ever had shoes that fit so well in my life. Just ordered a pair of quest boots looking forward to them.”
Pain free right out of the box. I have foot pain that leads to hip pain. Finding shoes that don’t cause issues is tricky. These are cute and super comfy right out of the box. The day after I received them we took a trip that had lots of hiking and amusement park visits. My feet and hip felt great, without needing a break in period. I back on the site now to buy another style.”
Foot pain? Not anymore! I walk 20,000 steps daily on a concrete warehouse floor. KURU shoes do what they say they will do. No more tired feet, not more foot pain, just happy feet at the end of the work day. So glad I made the purchase.”
I can walk again!! I had never tried Kuru before but took a chance. I was desperate. My Drs. said I needed surgery. Right out of the box they were so comfortable. My pain in both feet (two different issues) started to go away and within a week I was walking without foot or knee pain!! truly amazing!! I will only buy Kuru from now on. I would love to see a durable hiking boot!!”