Best Shoes for Retail Workers
Many people may not realize it, but working in the retail industry is rough. Wearing the wrong shoes can make it even more difficult—one of the best things you can do for your feet is to get the best retail work shoes. Getting the right shoes for retail work will ensure that your feet will thank you at the end of the day.
Considering just how much time you spend on your feet each day, it’s worth it to research the best shoes for retail work. Many shoes claim to be comfortable but are the opposite when you’re on your feet all day. KURU Footwear can ensure that you enjoy each step, no matter how long you need to stay on your feet.
To get your hands on the best shoes for working retail, look out for specific features that will provide you with the right amount of protection and comfort. Here are just a few things to keep an eye on:
The insole: Located right beneath your foot, the insole is responsible for cushioning your foot while absorbing moisture. These parts of the shoe will provide the most protection for your feet. Retail shoes made of quality materials can provide your feet with extra cushioning and shock absorption.
The midsole: This part is sandwiched between the outsole and the upper part of the shoes, and is another essential component in any kind of shoe. As such, it’s something that you should give extra attention to. A good midsole will provide you with additional cushioning, flex support, and more shock absorption.
The outsole: Depending on the kind of environment and terrain you want to take your shoes to, there are a few things you need to consider. For instance, you can look into outsoles that have an excellent grip and traction while others will have a construction similar to being barefooted. If you will be walking in muddy and wet conditions, a deep tread or lug will be beneficial.
Protection and stability: You wouldn’t want to trade your comfort for looks, so be sure that the shoe doesn’t wobble as you walk. At the first sign of instability, be sure to have it replaced and opt for an option that helps minimize slips and falls.
Durability: This will depend on the materials used to create the shoe and its quality. The best shoes for retail workers will provide superior quality and sturdy construction. KURU Footwear ensures this in each shoe—you can count on getting highly durable shoes that can last years.
Sizing: Keep your feet safe and comfortable with a good fit. Getting shoes that are too loose may increase your chance of slips and falls, while getting shoes that are too tight may result in blisters, sores, and even fungal infections.
Find out what types of safety or ergonomic hazards retail workers face that can lead to foot injuries.
Because of the ever-present dangers for retail workers, they are expected to wear the proper kinds of footwear and must never be allowed to wear open-toe shoes. By following the strict rules and codes implemented in their workplaces, they will be able to steer clear of many of the foot injuries listed above.
The best shoes for retail workers can help protect from dangers associated with working in shops, stores, and markets, such as:
- Slip and fall hazardsThese are some of the most common accidents around malls, shops, and stores that are caused by uneven or slippery surfaces. The best shoes for working in retail should have non-skid soles to protect the wearer from potential slips and falls.Slip and fall hazards
- Ergonomic injuriesMany retail workers will spend hours on their feet while assisting customers, moving inventory, and packing items, which can expose them to ergonomic strains on their feet and back.Ergonomic injuries
- Standing for hoursThis consists of a large portion of a retail worker’s day, where their feet will often be sore and aching before, during, and after their shift. KURU Footwear offers comfortable shoes for retail workers that will ensure their feet’s comfort no matter how long they work.Standing for hours
- Injuries due to poorly stacked objectsRetail workers can be susceptible to injuries resulting from falling objects that have not been properly stacked or secured within the store or storage areas.Injuries due to poorly stacked objects
Retail Industry Facts and Stats
- Some of the most popular shoes for retail work include slip-resistant shoes, safety-toe work boots, running shoes, and shoes with arch support.
- In more casual work environments, sneakers were the top contender for footwear according to many retail workers.
- When it comes to picking out the best shoes, most retail workers will first look at important details such as the materials used, the sizing and fitting, cushioning, durability, weight, and then lastly, the appearance.
Learn how to best protect your feet in the retail industry.
When you want protection outside of getting the right shoes for retail, there are a few other things you can do to keep the environment around you safer for your feet:
- Add support to your shoesLooking for comfortable insoles can help prevent injuries and reduce any discomfort you may be experiencing. Moreover, you should avoid backless, slip-on shoes as much as possible since this will force your toes to keep clenching to hold the shoe in place. This results in your foot having to work extra hard and may strain your muscles.Add support to your shoes
- Regularly change your positionTo give pressure points some rest, it’s best to keep your muscles moving. Doing this is just as important as sitting down or taking a rest at the right intervals. Frequently change your positions so that one muscle group isn’t more strained than the others.Regularly change your position
- Receive work safety trainingProviding retail workers with training on the proper way for stacking objects can help prevent objects from shifting and falling off elevated shelves. Items that fall from a high distance may result in injuries to the foot and other parts of the body. Heavy materials should always be stored as close to the ground as possible, and retail workers should remember to only store the lightest items on higher shelves.It will also help to ensure that there is ample lighting within their workplace and that there are no unmarked areas with steps. It’s also helpful to indicate with paint or signage if there is a difference in the floor level, which can be a tripping hazard.Retail workers should tend to spills as soon as possible, to ensure that no one will have the chance to slip on them.Receive work safety training
- Give your feet some love at homeMany problems with our feet can be prevented by regularly cleaning our feet. Be sure to inspect for calluses, cuts, and blisters while keeping your nails trimmed and in good condition. Your feet could become more susceptible to injuries if you’re standing all day—looking after them will keep them pain-free.Give your feet some love at home
- What are the best shoes for retail workers?
As mentioned above, the best work shoes for retail will be one that provides comfort, stability, durability, and quality. Because retail workers are on their feet all day, they need a pair of shoes that will keep their feet well protected from a variety of dangers, whether internal or external. The right shoe will fit properly, deliver comfort that will last for hours, and should have adequate cushioning to absorb impact.
- What shoes are good to wear on concrete all day?
Because hard surfaces like concrete provide no support or cushion, your ankles take on most of your body’s pressure. However, your feet will also be affected, so you will need something that can cushion and support your feet. The best retail shoes to wear while working on a concrete floor should provide maximum support and cushion.
- How do I know which shoe to buy? Which is best for me?
The best shoe for you will depend on your unique foot type and the style you’re looking for.
The best shoes for men and women alike offer adequate arch support and cushion. Whether you’re looking for bright blue shoes, dark blue shoes, or white shoes with blue accents, KURUs line of pain-relieving footwear help alleviate foot pain symptoms for all-day comfort.
- How is the arch support of KURU shoes?
KURU shoes deliver excellent arch support without the need for thick inserts or expensive, custom orthotics.
Superior arch support starts with our patented KURUSOLE technology, which delivers natural cushioning and dynamically hugs your heel with every step. Every foot is unique, and our ULTIMATE INSOLES adapt to fit your needs by using your own body heat to custom-mold to the shape of your feet over time.
The corrective nature of our superior arch support is designed to neutralize your weight distribution and place your foot in the best anatomical position. This support can take some getting used to. We suggest slowly breaking in your new shoes over the course of 2–3 weeks.
- Are your shoes considered orthopedic shoes?
While our shoes are not currently considered orthopedic by a medical standard, we have received thousands of positive reviews from customers who say their KURU shoes with good arch support helped reduce or eliminate their pain—from plantar fasciitis to bunions.
Each of our shoes feature a wide toe box, superior arch support, shock absorption and patented heel technology, engineered for pain relief.
At KURU, we pride ourselves on our unique approach to shoe design. We believe that shoes should be shaped to fit the natural contours of your feet, which is why we create every pair in three distinct support layers, not just an insole.
Our revolutionary ergonomic design starts with a curved footbed and adds unparalleled triple-layer support that includes shock-absorbing KURUCLOUD, heel-cupping KURUSOLE, and arch-supporting ULTIMATE INSOLES. The result? Shoes that are so comfortable you’ll stop thinking about your feet.
Our patented KURUSOLE plate can reduce foot pain, redirect stress, and encourage a healthy gait. It also features a unique design that …Show More
Our patented KURUSOLE plate can reduce foot pain, redirect stress, and encourage a healthy gait. It also features a unique design that cups the heel and allows for dynamic flexion with each step, where it provides superior support that helps protect and preserve the heel’s fat pad. As a result, it guides your body to a more natural alignment, which guarantees personalized comfort that can’t be replicated.…Show less
With our KURUCLOUD midsole, you can enjoy smooth and comfortable strides. Forming the base layer of our three-part technology, …Show More
With our KURUCLOUD midsole, you can enjoy smooth and comfortable strides. Forming the base layer of our three-part technology, KURUCLOUD uses an advanced blend of lightweight and high-grade EVA foams to provide support in every step. This shock-absorbing technology helps to alleviate pressure while offering a soft cushion for comfort that feels like walking on clouds.…Show less
Our three-part technology is complete with our ULTIMATE INSOLE, which provides support similar to orthotics without any additional purchases. Made from …Show More
Our three-part technology is complete with our ULTIMATE INSOLE, which provides support similar to orthotics without any additional purchases. Made from dual-density polyurethane foam, the ULTIMATE INSOLE offers a superior cushion. This technology also supports any changes to the shoe’s mold as you use it for the first time, adjusting to your foot after a few wears.…Show less
Our patented KURUSOLE plate can reduce foot pain, redirect stress, and encourage a healthy gait. It also features a unique design that cups the heel and allows for dynamic flexion with each step, where it provides superior support that helps protect and preserve the heel’s fat pad. As a result, it guides your body to a more natural alignment, which guarantees personalized comfort that can’t be replicated.
With our KURUCLOUD midsole, you can enjoy smooth and comfortable strides. Forming the base layer of our three-part technology, KURUCLOUD uses an advanced blend of lightweight and high-grade EVA foams to provide support in every step. This shock-absorbing technology helps to alleviate pressure while offering a soft cushion for comfort that feels like walking on clouds.
Our three-part technology is complete with our ULTIMATE INSOLE, which provides support similar to orthotics without any additional purchases. Made from dual-density polyurethane foam, the ULTIMATE INSOLE offers a superior cushion. This technology also supports any changes to the shoe’s mold as you use it for the first time, adjusting to your foot after a few wears.
Fine, We’ll Tell You Our Secret
What makes KURU different? Every KURU shoe comes with built-in patented KURUSOLE tech—a foot health game changer.
While other shoes are flat on the inside, KURUSOLE is shaped like your foot to hug and prevent fatigue and pain.
Best Shoe Ever! This is my second pair! I’ve worked retail for 20 years so you know the concrete has done serious damage. I have seen a podiatrist and even had custom insoles made for a fallen arch in my foot. Since buying these shoes I can stand all day with no pain and without having to use my insoles anymore. I’ll tell everyone at my job about the shoes and how amazing they are. I suggest if you’re required to stay in for long periods of time on concrete or do lots of walking as I do on my job, you should most definitely buy a pair. If I would’ve known about the shoes a year ago I could’ve save so much money on going to the doctor and having custom insoles made. These shoes have been truly life-saving! I plan to buy more colors just because I like fashion!”
Worth every penny. I’m on my feet 8-9 hours a day pretty much standing in one spot (retail production kitchen). This is the best shoe I’ve ever bought for work – blows the other famous brand shoes away. I’m already thinking of getting a second pair.”
These shoes are a godsend. Trust the positive reviews. I have never worn a more comfortable shoe, especially in retail working overtime hours. Truly magical.”
Good product. I needed a durable shoe for manually pulling retail loads on a concrete floor and I think I made the right choice. The back support of the shoe is fantastic. It took about a week of wearing to really break in and I can tell the difference.”
Amazing. I can’t talk up these shoes enough. They saved my feet working retail. You do need to break them in. If you wear them too long the first couple of times you will think they are not going to work. Once you do break them in they are lifesavers. I do wish there was more color options for the Atom.”