Best High Top Shoes
High tops are one of the most iconic and popular shoes around. It’s tough to find anyone who doesn’t own at least one pair of high-top shoes!
What exactly makes this type of footwear a quintessential part of our everyday lives? More than trends or big names, it’s all about the comfort, stability, support, and ankle protection they provide.
For extra ankle protection and maximum comfort, KURUs line of high tops help bring Pain Relief Beyond Belief.
High-top shoes are footwear that extends over your ankle. They provide extra stability and support to your ankle for your foot health and overall safety.
There’s a wide variety of this style of footwear, from high-top workout shoes to ankle-high hiking boots. High-tops help give wearers added stability, support, and safety—especially when playing sports.
In fact, doctors note that high-top shoes can help provide support and stability in a similar way to ankle braces and taping.
KURU’s line of high-top shoes go above and beyond extra ankle support with our pain-relieving technology. Each pair features shock-absorbing cushion, superior arch support, and patented heel protection to keep you moving.
Types of High Top Shoes & Finding the Best Fit
Need a new pair of high-top shoes? Learn more about different types high-top shoes and find the perfect fit for any activity.
- High-Top Canvas Shoes: Canvas is a softer material, making this style not suitable for high-impact sports. Instead, high-top canvas shoes are best suited for casual, everyday wear, or as an office staple.
- High-Top Athletic Shoes: Ideal for your gym sesh or athletic activity, this type of high top includes tennis, basketball, workout, and other sports shoes with high openings. These high-top shoes all have laces for a tighter fit when playing.
- High-Top Trail Shoes: Perfect for your outdoor adventures, this style features traction-heavy outsoles and breathable uppers for better comfort, stability, and support on the trail.
- High-Top Boots: As the name suggests, these are boots with high tops covering the ankle. These boots are great for women’s business or formal wear.
- High-Top Velcro Sneakers: These are high-top shoes that lean more toward casual and formal, rather than sporty. Velcro closings do not provide the same security and tight fit as laces, making them inadvisable as activewear.
High Top Shoe Fit Tips
Simplify the process of finding a pair of high-top shoes that fit well with these helpful tips from our KURU GURUs.
You need your shoes to fit perfectly right if you want to stay comfortable and pain-free even after long hours of wearing them.
A few tips to finding the perfect fit:
- Since our feet naturally expand throughout the day, the afternoon is prime shoe-shopping time to get the best measurement and fit.
- Many people have slight differences in their left and right foot sizes, so always try on both shoes to ensure they fit both feet.
- Always wear socks when fitting shoes. Wear or bring the appropriate socks for the shoe style you’re shopping for.
- If possible, wear thick, moisture-wicking socks when trying on shoes to judge the fit and comfort level more accurately.
- Look for styles with a wide toe box to avoid squishing your toes together and causing foot pain.
- Look for shoes with firm and high support if you have high arches, generous toe boxes and soft upper materials if you have bunions, and a little boost and extra shock absorbing cushion if you have flat feet.
Pair Your High-Top Shoes For Every Occasion
Explore how to style and wear the latest styles of high-top shoes from KURU. High-top shoes can be worn with a variety of outfits and many occasions. Here are a few ideas!
When wearing jeans with your high-tops shoes:
- Straight, slim-fit pants are a great choice for high-top training shoes and high-top boots. Black slim-fit jeans, a plain shirt, and a denim or sports jacket would look great with brown high-top tennis shoes.
- When wearing loose-fit jeans, make sure their hem doesn’t cover your high tops. Fold or roll the hem to your desired length.
- Skinny jeans look amazing with high-top shoes. When wearing skinny jeans, you can tuck the hem into the shoe if it’s too long.
For business casual or office outfits:
- Pair high-top canvas shoes with a knee-length pencil skirt, loose t-shirt, or blouse. You can add a blazer to make it look more formal.
- Wear a monochrome skirt and top ensemble or trousers and button-down outfit with high-top running shoes in a contrasting color.
- For formal suit trousers, try a high-top leather boot for a classy look. Make sure the hem ends just above the high tops.
Do high top shoes help ankles?
They can! High-top shoes can offer extra support and help our ankles feel more stable. They’re also a great option for people who are prone to ankle injuries or are recovering from a recent ankle problem.
People who play sports, especially basketball and other ones where we have a higher risk of developing ankle sprains, greatly benefit from high-top running shoes.
Can you wear high top shoes with shorts?
Yes, of course! You can wear high-top shoes with shorts in a variety of styles. Here are a few style tips to ensure a well-styled and coordinated outfit:
– Match thin high-top canvas shoes with fitted, dressy shorts.
– For thick high-top tennis shoes and high-top workout shoes, pair these with loose, sporty shorts instead, such as basketball shorts.
– Contrasting high-top shoes and shorts colors generally look better. If you’re wearing cream or light-toned shorts, opt for black high-top shoes and vice-versa.
Do high top shoes prevent ankle spains?
Not exactly. Wearing high-top shoes may help reduce the likelihood of suffering from ankle pain and sprains, but it does not completely prevent such occurrences.
The most that your high-top training shoes offer is added support and perhaps security. They also provide extra stability for people with ankles prone to injury or who are currently recovering from one.
Wearing shoes that not only offer ankle support but also full arch and heel support can help further reduce your risk of ankle sprains.
How do I lace up high top shoes?
There are many different ways to lace high-top shoes. However, the most basic one is just the same as how you would lace up regular or low-cut rubber shoes.
For a basic lacing, simply thread the shoelace straight through the first two opposite eyelets on the bottom. Then, insert the ends of the laces by crossing over diagonally to the eyelets on opposite sides until you get to the top.
For laces that look like ladder rungs, thread the shoelace straight into the first two eyelets. Both lace ends should be on the inside. Take one lace end, thread it into the eyelet above it, going out. Then, run it across to the opposite side eyelet and insert the lace.
Next, take the other lace end and insert it into the eyelet above where you just put in the other end. The lace should go outside, run across the shoe tongue, and go in the opposite eyelet. Repeat this pattern by alternating the shoelace ends.
How is the arch support of KURU shoes?
KURU shoes deliver excellent arch support without the need for thick inserts or expensive, custom orthotics.
Superior arch support starts with our patented KURUSOLE technology, which delivers natural cushioning and dynamically hugs your heel with every step. Every foot is unique, and our ULTIMATE INSOLES adapt to fit your needs by using your own body heat to custom-mold to the shape of your feet over time.
The corrective nature of our superior arch support is designed to neutralize your weight distribution and place your foot in the best anatomical position. This support can take some getting used to. We suggest slowly breaking in your new shoes over the course of 2–3 weeks.
At KURU, we pride ourselves on our unique approach to shoe design. We believe that shoes should be shaped to fit the natural contours of your feet, which is why we create every pair in three distinct support layers, not just an insole.
Our revolutionary ergonomic design starts with a curved footbed and adds unparalleled triple-layer support that includes shock-absorbing KURUCLOUD, heel-cupping KURUSOLE, and arch-supporting ULTIMATE INSOLES. The result? Shoes that are so comfortable you’ll stop thinking about your feet.
KURUSOLE, the second layer of our three-part technology, is the hidden hero in all KURU shoes. Its patented technology comfortably cups …Show More
KURUSOLE, the second layer of our three-part technology, is the hidden hero in all KURU shoes. Its patented technology comfortably cups your heel and keeps it firmly in place to protect your fat pad from wear and tear. The KURUSOLE also flexes with each step you take, reducing stress from impact and encouraging a more natural gait.…Show less
Extra ankle support is a welcome feature in shoes, but if you want better shock-absorption, you need to start with a cushioned foundation. That’s …Show More
Extra ankle support is a welcome feature in shoes, but if you want better shock-absorption, you need to start with a cushioned foundation. That’s exactly what our KURUCLOUD midsole gives. The blend of proprietary lightweight EVA foams also gives plenty of bounce, giving you the smoothest stride possible.…Show less
The last of our unique three-part technology is the ULTIMATE INSOLE. Made out of dual-density polyurethane foam, the ULTIMATE INSOLE is designed to …Show More
The last of our unique three-part technology is the ULTIMATE INSOLE. Made out of dual-density polyurethane foam, the ULTIMATE INSOLE is designed to offer both soft cushion and rigid arch support for optimal foot health. The advanced foam slowly molds to the shape of your foot using your body heat for custom fit and superior support.…Show less
KURUSOLE, the second layer of our three-part technology, is the hidden hero in all KURU shoes. Its patented technology comfortably cups your heel and keeps it firmly in place to protect your fat pad from wear and tear. The KURUSOLE also flexes with each step you take, reducing stress from impact and encouraging a more natural gait.
Extra ankle support is a welcome feature in shoes, but if you want better shock-absorption, you need to start with a cushioned foundation. That’s exactly what our KURUCLOUD midsole gives. The blend of proprietary lightweight EVA foams also gives plenty of bounce, giving you the smoothest stride possible.
The last of our unique three-part technology is the ULTIMATE INSOLE. Made out of dual-density polyurethane foam, the ULTIMATE INSOLE is designed to offer both soft cushion and rigid arch support for optimal foot health. The advanced foam slowly molds to the shape of your foot using your body heat for custom fit and superior support.
Fine, We’ll Tell You Our Secret
What makes KURU different? Every KURU shoe comes with built-in patented KURUSOLE tech—a foot health game changer.
While other shoes are flat on the inside, KURUSOLE is shaped like your foot to hug and prevent fatigue and pain.
Awesome High Top!! I’m so happy with my Kuru high top boots!! Super comfortable and stylish!! Runs a little big. My feet don’t hurt any more. Thanks to my Kuru shoes!! Definitely a most have!!
Game Changer. I was recently diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and for months my heels have been incredibly painful. It took me a while to actually get out of bed. Literally within hours of putting these shoes on my heels feel so much better. I am walking without pain. I actually love the look of the shoes but the fact they have relieved so much is just a cherry on top! I highly recommend these to anyone with heel pain or plantar fasciitis.
Best hightop ever. In June of 2021, I started buying Kurus. I have been amazed with every pair of them. The Quest is my fifth pair. It is comfortable way beyond my expectations. They are flexible, yet supportive, and have the perfect amount of cushioning. Also, the Quest is my first pair of comfortable hightops,ever. I have bunions,flat feet, and arthritis. Kurus have put me back on my feet and walking again. I’ve given all of my other shoes away. There was a lot of them. None worked for me. Now, it’s Kurus for me for the rest of my life.
Kuru Saved Me. I started a job as a custodian in a school last July. I had suffered some bouts of plantar fasciitis flare ups prior to starting, but it became unbearable in the new job with walking such hard surfaces as much as 13 miles each day. I researched shoes and found KURU online. I was a little nervous purchasing online without sizing, feeling, etc.., but was soon purchasing multiple shoes for different activities due to the relief I received from these shoes. I now wear Quantums as my personal shoes outside of work, and the hiking shoes for outdoors activities. i wear the Carrera running shoe at work. If they come out with a high top basketball shoe, i might be able to get back on a basketball court!
COMFORT AND ENDURANCE. I bought a pair of Chicane high tops in August, 2017. Not 9nly did they give me the unbelievable foot comfort promised but 4 years later they’re still going strong. These are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. My feet are laden with so many issues from bone spurs, tendonitis, plantar facilities, arthritis, and I’m diabetic. Each time I wrestle my feet into my Chicanes I feel instant relief. I would insist that anyone with foot issues purchase a pair if you really want the comfort you deserve.
Tracey Lin Miller